8.25.2001

Im stuck in one of those odd moods where all things are too sharp and nothings fitting together right. It'll probably work itself out by morning.

At any rate, I just finished Will Self's How The Dead Live...a total mindfuck and utterly stunning novel(at least, for me). I'll post some of the quotes I liked from it...these are all the main character, Lily Bloom (born in the 1920s, died in the 1980s), speaking and acting as narrator of her story. She is, by the way, dead. NOTE: There are no typos.

"Gog grant me the stupidity to deny there's anything I cannot change, the temerity to neglect the things I can, and the ignorance to be incapable of distinguishing between the two."

"High-heeled sneakers - verily, that's what they are. They're exactly like the basketball boots kids wore in the fifties - rubber-soled, black or white canvas uppers, thick white laces, cross-threaded all the way up to the ankle - but they've got high heels. Fancy that. Imagine such an asinine article of footwear being sung into being by a nigger minstrel. They didn't get to lie down by the waters of Babylon, nor did they rock in the bosom of Abraham, the chariot never swung low enough for them to catch a ride home, but they did get to wear high-heeld sneakers. If God exists, clearly he is a fashion-conscious queen, so much attention has he lavished on the accessories of this world, so little on its substance."

"Mirrored fucking buildings - where did THEY come from? How could the modern city, with its vaunting ugliness, have the temerity to contemplate itself in these twenty-, thirty-, forty-storey pier-glasses? To ogle its own soullessness, while batting its vertical, textured louvres?"

"I could kill myself with their drug shit, but that is revolting. I could hang myself with any number of cords, ligatures, and strings the terminally neglectful parents have left lying around. I could even - if the taps aren't frozen - drown myself in the fucking bath. All that guff about how ninety per cent of accidents happen in the fucking home, but hey, so do ninety percent of fucking suicides. Statistically we're fools to ever curl up in a bed with a good book, lest the madness sieze us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home