6.06.2001

Alright! It is done. I have finally finished reading Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead...excellent. I was laughing to myself and looking like a moron in the halls of the SPJC Humanities building while reading it after my chem test (many thanks to the beloved Rachel for loaning me the play). At any rate, I have decided to post what I believe to be the most entertaining/best quotes from the play for those too lazy to read the play to read. Enjoy!

"It's all right - I'm demonstrating the misuse of free speech. To prove that it exists." - Rosencrantz

"Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least. You could lie there thinking - well, at least I'm not dead! In a minute someone's going to bang on the lid and tell me to come out." - Rosencrantz

"...we are tied down to a language which makes up in obscurity what it lacks in style." - Player

"I've lost all capacity for disbelief. I'm not sure that I could even rise to a little gentle scepticism." - Guildenstern

Guil: "Why don't you say something original! No wonder this whole thing is stagnant! You don't take me up on anything - you just repeat it in a different order!"
Ros: "I can't think of anything original. I'm only good in support."

"If we stopped breathing we'd vanish." - Rosencrantz

"Incidents! All we get is incidents! Dear God, is it too much to expect a little sustained action?!" - Rosencrantz

"Yes, that much seems certain. I congratulate you on the unambiguity of your situation." - Player

"We've travelled too far, and our momentum has taken over; we move idly towards eternity, without possibility of reprieve or hope of explanation." - Guildenstern

"Pirates could happen to anyone." - Player

"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...death is not...It's the absence of presence, nothing more...the endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..." - Guildenstern

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home