9.06.2001

Like a diluted and slighty more coherant and personally relevant version of Dennis Miller, I have created...

Cy's Rant-o-Rama Vol. 4
Today's topic: MTV
Now, I know what you're thinking: "Cy, everyone and their grandmother's 23 cats have complained about MTV. What's new?" Well, nothing really, I just have a very specific complaint to file with them on certain things they have begun to edit out. MTV has always edited what they wanted to, but now I am noticing something that they have begun to edit out of songs: mention of SI.
I first noticed this a couple months ago. Papa Roach's Last Resort has a lyric "Don't give a fuck if I cut my arm, bleeding". Guess what was edited out? Well, fuck was erased (gloriously protecting us from a deadly combination of 4 letters), but as well the part cut my arm. Later on in the verse come the lines "Mutilation out of sight / and I'm contemplating suicide". Here, mutilation was edited out, but suicide was left in. I don't know what to make of this. Did MTV figure that while someone might blame the songs they play for a person's own SI, no one would possibly blame them for a person's suicide, so its ok to leave that part in?
Anyway, after first noting this, I considered writing a rant on it, but I figured I didn't have enough substance to babble on about, and maybe it just an isolated case. Two days ago, I witnessed this in another video, Eminem's Stan. Now, I'm not a fan of Eminem, and personally, I couldn't care less if he were to spontaneously combust. However, that song has a line it "Sometimes I cut myself to see how much it bleeds". MTV decided that cut and bleeds had no business being broadcast on air, so out they went.
Why is MTV editing out mentions of SI? Are they afraid of accountability? Will they stop airing Pearl Jam's Jeremy, due to fear of being held responsible for someone running amok in a school? MTV glorifies degredation of women, alcohol abuse, and numerous other things...but oh no! Can't mention cutting! What a bunch of bullshit. MTV, edit out what you want to. But if you're going to try to get rid of all unpleasantness shown on your channel, then do it. Go off the air.

Sorry, this came of much more whiny, bitchy, and heavy-handed than expected. I'll make up for later with Rant-o-Rama 5, whenever that's done...

Look for Cy's Rant-o-Rama Vol. 5, coming to a blogspot near you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home